Saturday, December 20, 2008

Beautiful campagna

Ci arrivati a Italia. We are housesitting, an assignment we found as members of a website that matches people who want a housesitter with people who want to housesit. I am now sitting at my host's computer (despite every attempt I cannot access the Internet with my computer). We've been here two days and I can say that the beautiful Italy countryside remains very, very beautiful. We are in an agricultural area (olive groves and vineyards) in the very southernmost part of Tuscany. We are near the Mediterranean and from much of the area can see the water, the island of Elba and a large seaside natural preserve. One side of the farmhouse faces toward the Mediterranean (though we can't see it) while on the other side are rolling hills dotted with olive groves and vineyards. There are many wineries surround this 80-acre piece of peace. Louise and Guiliano have an olive grove here and one in Siena. This year they made olive oil from each, even though they just moved into the house less than a month ago. They've been commuting between their two properties. The olive oil is so good that I have been putting it on everything. Freshly made olive oil is completely different than anything we typically get in the states. It has a peppery temperment, fruity, and delicious. We had two homemade dinners with Louise and Guiliano and two wonderful wines -- one from Sicily and the other from Montelcino -- both very different, both very good. We intend to visit local wineries first then branch out to towns such as Montelcino and Montepulciano. It is cold and clear here. The light in Tuscany is just different from anywhere in the world. We heat by wood burning stove in the kitchen/sitting area downstairs and a wood burning stove in our bedroom area. As I write this blog I am watching the sun set outside and am keeping warm in front of the fireplace listening to songs on my iPod.

This is the area of sheep and Pecorino cheese. At this time of year you can buy fresh Pecorino. Later on we will be buying only aged. Today we purchased 1 1/2 pounds of the fresh just to make sure we have some in our frige.

If Louise and Guiliano read this blog post -- we walked the dogs today to the woods, keeping them safely away from the sheep and I'm happy to say that we lost none of them. In fact, we picked up a lost dog who followed us home and we turned over to two hunters. Also, I'm so happy I brought the rubber boots. Maybe the most practical thing in my suitcase.

No comments: