Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pike Place Market

It's definitely Fall in the Pike Place Market. The tourists are not all gone but walking through the Market is easier now. The produce stands aren't mobbed. There's still plenty of great fresh vegetables -- sugar pumpkins, fresh cranberry beans, heirloom tomatoes, grapes the size of golf balls, Chantrelles and other more exotic mushrooms -- but without the crowds shopping is more pleasant and leisurely. When I first came to Seattle, living in Ballard but working at the Seattle Center (site of the 1962 World's Fair), I would take the Monorail from the Center and walk the five blocks to the Pike Place Market. The year was 1967. I had just returned from a year in Italy, was newly married, and I missed the Italian markets. Pike Place Market was a more than adequate simile with DeLaurenti's and Pasquale the Italian-speaking fruit vendor. Having grown up in an Italian household where good food was important I naturally gravitated toward shopping for and cooking with familiar foods, easily available in the Market. Almost 20 years ago I moved to a condo steps from the Market. Happily, many if not most of the vendors have remained the same throughout these years. They've gotten to know me and often share with me what's fresh, what's good, and how to cook it.

This is my neighborhood and these are some of my favorite vendors. Fall has a very different feel from summer. I share photos of both here.


Fruits of summer beautifully displayed

Abundant choices during Summer when the market expands from the covered walkways to the outside.


Only one of the Market pigs

Lovely lilacs. My Market favorite is the Peony. Each of the flower types has it's time for colorful display: tulips, chrysanthemums, lilies -- all beautiful in their season.

Le Panier has the absolutely best cafe au lait and croissants in the Market and a great place to relax and view the passing scene.


Fall has its own charm.


DeLaurenti's, where I've been shopping for 44 years, has the best cheese and salumi selection anywhere. This is where I buy a long Salumi mole salami (Mario Batali's father's handcrafted salumi from Pioneer Square in Seattle) every year for my son's Christmas present.



Prepared prosiutto, caprese, and mortadella sandwiches, the best hazelnut chocolate chip cookies, salads and delicious pizza are lunch-time favorites at  DeLaurenti's. Often I'll do my shopping then stop by for a bite before heading home.


No mention of my day in the Market would be complete without my usual stop to peruse the magazines and headlines at Read All About It. This newsstand was my go-to place when I was a Public Relations executive and needed news quick -- that's in the dark ages before the Internet. In this day and age it's hard to believe that Read All About It can survive. Somehow it has maintained its relevance in this community. Any time of the day you will find people leafing through magazines and newspapers from all around the world and in every language.

Don and Joe's Meats is a Market staple.

I never ever buy fish in the Market  (many bad experiences) but I had to mention the famous Pike Place Fish Co. home of the flying fish. If I had a dollar for every tourist that has stopped me to ask where to find "the flying fish" I'd be a rich woman. Okay, not rich but certainly have a few extra bucks in my pocket.

Mums reign at this time of year. They're colorful and hearty. Soon we won't even have these as only dried flower are available when the mums are gone.

No comments: